Meet our 2023 | 2024 Committee
President Chris Bretag
Senior Vice President Mike Griffin
Junior Vice President Tash Westbrook
Secretary Maxine Tully
Treasurer Marilyn Philbey
A Brief History of the Kadina A.H. & F. Society Inc.
The idea of a show it is believed to have been attributed to a discussion between two or three gentlemen,
Mr. William Graham (who became stationmaster at Eyre’s Sand Patch on the Western Australia railway line),
a Mr. Lang and Mr. F. W. Gurner.
1871 - The First Yorke Peninsula Agricultural Society Show
The first Yorke Peninsula Agricultural Society Committee was formed after a number of advertisements
were placed in the Wallaroo Times & Mining Journal in on the 30th August and 2nd September 1871.
Elected officials were:
President: Mr. Samuel. J. Higgs Jnr. Wallaroo Mines Superintendent;
Vice President: Thomas Herne Hall
Secretary: Mr. William Graham
Treasurer: Mr. Thomas Mitchell.
Conveners appointed were Thomas Mitchell, James Martin, William Graham, and Thomas Herbert.
On the 13th September 1871, the first Agricultural show was a ploughing match held on the property
of Mr. William Graham, adjoining the property of Parnell and Bowman between Kadina and Wallaroo.
It took only two weeks to promote and organise the first show and what a sight it must have been with
the smoke billowing from the smelting stacks of Wallaroo to the West and the tall chimneys of the mine
shafts of Wallaroo mines engines thickly grouped together to the east.
A ploughing match was held, cattle sheep and pigs could be heard across the grounds and the Kadina
Brass Band played gay music throughout the day. Banners fluttered in the breeze from tents filled with
all manner of garden specimens, farm, and dairy produce. There were numerous other exhibits, even a
young emu which would have a been novelty if shown at an English fair.
At the dinner held that night in the Exchange Hotel, many toasts were celebrated as well as the work of
those early volunteers who put together a large event in such a short time.
In 1872 the YP Agricultural Society held its second show as well as another organisation that was
formed that year; the Wallaroo and Doora Mines Gardening Society.
In 1873 these two societies who had similar members combined to form the Yorke Peninsula
Agricultural, Horticultural & Floricultural Society. This was the first show to be opened by the Governor of
In 1874 the new show society moved its show closer to the Kadina Township to land that it purchased
bounded by Julia Terrace, Waring Street, and Christie Street.
A more permanent exhibition building was developed, however by 1882 the show had outgrown this site
and a much larger site was purchased close to the railway station which became the current showground
In October 1883 the current Exhibition building had been completed and the show that year was opened
again by the Governor of South Australia, who also opened the new railway line from Port Wakefield.
From 1884 the Kadina Showgrounds became the focal point of the community and many special events
and all manner of sports were conducted on the showgrounds. The Show Society continued to flourish
at the new location and in the late 1910’s was finally out of debt. It then built a grandstand for
patrons, a bandstand and upgraded its animal pens.
In the 1920’s, trotting was a huge draw card to the showgrounds and annual trots were held at each
show. In the 1930’s, as there were now five show societies on the Yorke Peninsula so the name was changed
to the Kadina Agricultural, Horticultural & Floricultural Society Inc. In the 1940’s trotting moved away from
the showgrounds but returned under lights in the showgrounds in the mid 1950’s until ceasing in 2006.
Football, cricket, cycling, horse riding, pistol shooting, rollerskating and table tennis are among the groups
who regularly used the showgrounds. Table tennis is the only remaining sport played at the showgrounds.
The showgrounds were also used by many community organisations to run fairs, pageants and social events.
The annual shows were a means of bringing the community together and as new ideas progressed in
farming equipment and products it became the means to showcase these interests. The show society
played a very important part in the development of Kadina and the surrounding district.
In 2021 the Kadina A. H & F Society celebrated a second milestone and turned 150 years old,
becoming the oldest community organisation in Kadina. A book has been developed to tell the history
of the Show Society through its 150 shows. Available from the Show Office Wednesdays between
10 am to 12 noon or during show week. Cost is $40
Today, the name of the annual show has been changed to"THE COPPER COAST SHOW" to reflect the whole of the Copper Coast
Community and will continue to showcase the local community and that has become its motto.